Earlier this week three people were taken to the hospital after a car accident in the 6700 block of Slyvain Way Southeast in west Seattle. Law enforcement says that a 33-year-old woman's car crossed the center line and caused a head-on collision with the pickup truck of a 38-year-old man. The woman and her passenger both sustained very serious, life-threatening injuries. The man was treated at the hospital with minor injuries. Police say that the woman showed signs of impairment and it is expected that she will be charged with vehicular assault and booked into King County Jail upon her release from the hospital.
Driving Under the Influence in Washington
In Washington, driving under the influence is a very serious crime. “A person is guilty of driving while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, marijuana, or any drug if the person drives a vehicle within this state:
- And the person has, within two hours after driving, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's breath or blood; or
- The person has, within two hours after driving, a THC concentration of 5.00 or higher as shown by analysis of the person's blood; or
- While the person is under the influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor, marijuana, or any drug; or
- While the person is under the combined influence of or affected by intoxicating liquor, marijuana, and any drug.”
DUI and Vehicular Assault Defense Strategies
As in the scenario above, when a person is found to be driving under the influence or operates a vehicle under the influence and subsequently causes bodily harm to another individual, they may be charged with vehicular assault. If you have been charged with vehicular assault, there are a few defense strategies that may be employed to protect your rights. For example, a criminal defense attorney may:
- Present facts that explain your position or contradict statements from witnesses or on police reports;
- Challenge the circumstances of the arrest;
- Challenge the state's ability to correctly follow blood-testing protocols;
- Make clear to a prosecuting attorney that it will be extremely difficult to prove the specific facts they will need to support a conviction.
Washington has some of the strictest DUI penalties in the nation. Even if you are a first time offender you may face the following penalties if convicted:
- Up to $5,000 in fines;
- Up to 364 days in jail; or
- A combination of the above; and
- 90-day driver's license suspension.
Keep in mind, if you have injured or killed someone while intoxicated behind the wheel, then you may almost certainly face even harsher penalties.
Contact a Seattle DUI Defense Attorney
If you or a loved one has been arrested for a DUI in the Seattle area, then you need the help of an experienced defense attorney. Steve Karimi is a top-rated criminal defense attorney in the King County area. Mr. Karimi will employ all necessary defense strategies to ensure that you receive the best possible outcome in your case. Contact the Law Offices of Steve Karimi to begin protecting your rights today.